sustantivo[mass noun] chiefly Biology
- 1Unusual or abnormal largeness.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The dodo of Mauritius (a giant pigeon) is a famous example of island gigantism.
- Such gigantism usually leads to some form of extinction.
- In 1992 I visited the island of Komodo - home of the Komodo dragon - to study gigantism among reptiles.
- 1.1 Medicine Excessive growth due to hormonal imbalance.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He published 400 papers, many of major importance, on subjects as diverse as acromegaly, Cushing's syndrome, gigantism, the effects of prolonged fasting, diabetes, and the hormone aldosterone.
- A minority of patients have gigantism / acromegaly with elevated levels of prolactin and growth hormone.
- Interest in dwarfism, gigantism, and acromegaly has spanned the centuries; literature, especially for children, is filled with stories about dwarfs and giants, while Old Testament writings have several descriptions of giants.
- 1.2 Botany Excessive size in plants due to polyploidy.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Of course, many plant parasites stimulate their hosts causing hypertrophy and gigantism; broom formation in mistletoes, and gall formation by insects and rust fungi are examples.
Más definiciones de gigantismDefinición de gigantism en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.