- 1A muscular, thick-walled part of a bird’s stomach for grinding food, typically with grit.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- They have been known, like other members of this group, to swallow grit to help grind coarse food in their gizzards.
- Grit is used by many birds to help them grind their food in their gizzards.
- They draw out guts, pull livers, cut wings and gizzards, pop thigh bones.
- 1.1A muscular stomach of some fish, insects, molluscs, and other invertebrates.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Two fish in the gizzard shad-access treatment (two different enclosures) died 8 days following the introduction of fish.
- In Florida, the diet was comprised mainly of fishes, with gizzard shad, bullhead catfish, and small bluegill particularly common.
- We conducted two mesocosm experiments to determine the effects of sediment feeding by gizzard shad and fish size on nutrient and phytoplankton dynamics.
late Middle English giser: from Old French, based on Latin gigeria 'cooked entrails of fowl'. The final -d was added in the 16th century.
Más definiciones de gizzardDefinición de gizzard en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.