adjetivo (glassier, glassiest)
- 1.1Having the physical properties of glass; vitreous: glassy lavasMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Volcanoes of the western Hungarian volcanic field also consistently comprise basal glassy pyroclastic units overlain by lavas that cap buttes.
- The outer selvages are glassy and the interior tends to be vesicular under low-water pressures.
- Black, glassy metamict material from each of these locations has historically been referred to as samarskite.
- 1.2(Of water) having a smooth surface: the glassy grey surface of the lakeMás ejemplos en oraciones
smooth, mirror-like, glass-like, gleaming, shining, shiny, sheeny, glossy, polished; slippery, slick, icy, ice-covered; clear, crystal clear, transparent, translucent, limpid, pellucid; calm, still, flat, unruffled, even, waveless, like a millpond• informal slippy
- The clear sky was a startling pink colour, and, as there was not a breath of wind, the glassy surface of the water shone with the same beautiful hue.
- The winter offers still glassy waters with pink morning skies reflected on their surface.
- Rafts of puffins and guillemots bobbed on the glassy surface of the water, and I decided to stay here until we passed the bows of the Inverlane.
- 1.3(Of sound) resembling the sharp noise made when glass is struck: a glassy clinkMás ejemplos en oraciones
- It's not a major drawback since the notes generally come through clearly and realistically, but in louder passages the upper register has a bit of a metallic or glassy sound.
- Sonics are excellent, although higher notes occasionally have a glassy sound.
- My only complaint is that the upper register of the piano sounds unfortunately glassy.
- 2(Of a person’s eyes or expression) showing no interest or animation: some stare straight ahead with glassy eyes she’d got that glassy lookMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He glanced up at her; his glassy eyes registered no emotion.
- Alissa stared at her with a blank glassy expression.
- His body was limp in her arms and his eyes were glassy and lifeless.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- (also glassie) • dialect A glass marble.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Years ago, kids used the alleys to play ‘glassies.’
- They came in a wide range of qualities: common clays, painted clays, glassies, aggies and even ball bearings.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It's not even as if the band is deafening, but everyone's just staring glassily into the middle distance.
- The former dictator, a palace-dwelling billionaire, was the picture of bedraggled abjectness: mouth forced open, eyes staring glassily.
- His face was white, drained, and his eyes stared glassily.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It's a haunting reverberant sound that, in spite of its cool digital sheen and glassiness, feels natural and inviting.
- The lustre of inquiring glance faded swiftly into vacant glassiness.
- The glassiness was quickly disappearing and the usual gleam was returning.