1Obtain (information) from various sources, often with difficulty: the information is gleaned from press cuttings
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Much information is gleaned from secondary sources or has been covered in more detail elsewhere by previous authors.
- Most of her war information is gleaned from her twice-weekly phone chats with her husband.
- Information was gleaned from operating reports dictated for the surgical procedures and available for review.
obtain, get, take, draw, derive, extract, cull, garner, gather, reap;
select, choose, pick;
learn, find out
2 historical Gather (leftover grain) after a harvest: (as noun gleaning) the conditions of farm workers in the 1890s made gleaning essential
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Third, commoning is a collective endeavor as depicted, for example, in the many paintings of gleaning the harvest.
- In the open-field areas of northern France they could glean after harvest and their cattle could graze on the stubble.
- They were not to glean their fields for stray grain, nor harvest the corners.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Like the planter's grain or publisher's newspaper clippings, the overabundance of our media archives can now be clipped and gathered by a new generation of gleaners.
- Only by listening to the gleaners, those picking at the forgotten edges of the field, will we understand the real beauty of the landscape we are creating.
- What kinds of virtues are required to succeed as gleaner?
Late Middle English: from Old French glener, from late Latin glennare, probably of Celtic origin.
Palabras que riman con gleanAberdeen, Amin, aquamarine, baleen, bean, been, beguine, Benin, between, canteen, careen, Claudine, clean, contravene, convene, cuisine, dean, Dene, e'en, eighteen, fascine, fedayeen, fifteen, figurine, foreseen, fourteen, Francine, gean, gene, gombeen, green, Greene, Halloween, intervene, Janine, Jean, Jeannine, Jolene, Kean, keen, Keene, Ladin, langoustine, latrine, lean, limousine, machine, Maclean, magazine, Malines, margarine, marine, Mascarene, Massine, Maxine, mean, Medellín, mesne, mien, Moline, moreen, mujahedin, Nadine, nankeen, Nazarene, Nene, nineteen, nougatine, obscene, palanquin, peen, poteen, preen, quean, Rabin, Racine, ramin, ravine, routine, Sabine, saltine, sardine, sarin, sateen, scene, screen, seen, serene, seventeen, shagreen, shebeen, sheen, sixteen, spleen, spring-clean, squireen, Steen, submarine, supervene, tambourine, tangerine, teen, terrine, thirteen, transmarine, treen, tureen, Tyrrhene, ultramarine, umpteen, velveteen, wean, ween, Wheen, yean
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: glean
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda