verbo (grabs, grabbing, grabbed)[with object]
- 1Grasp or seize suddenly and roughly: she grabbed him by the shirt collar she grabbed her keys and rushed outMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Lauren walked faster, scared now, and she was still trying to place the voices when suddenly she felt someone grab her roughly around the waist.
- Suddenly, he grabs her savagely by the arm and throws her at the nearest wall.
- Two pairs of hands grabbed me roughly by the arms and started dragging me up the steps.
- 1.1 • informal Obtain or get (something) quickly or opportunistically: I’ll grab another drink while there’s still timeMás ejemplos en oraciones
obtain, acquire, come by, carry off, come to have, get, receive, gain, earn, win, come into, come in for, take possession of, take receipt of, be given; buy, purchase, procure, possess oneself of, secure, snap up; gather, collect, pick up, appropriate, amass, build up, hook, net, land; achieve, attain• informal get/lay one's hands on, get one's mitts on, get hold of, bag, score, swing, nab, collar, pull down, copBritish • informal blag
- I excused myself quickly, grabbing a muesli bar on the way out of the kitchen and I shut myself in what was to become my bedroom.
- I quickly grab a seat with Jake and Emily at the rear of the room.
- We first stopped off at my house so i could quickly get changed and grab some money.
- 1.2 [no object] (Of a brake on a vehicle) grip the wheel harshly or jerkily: the brakes grabbed very badlyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Studies have shown that disc brakes grab faster and hold longer than drum brakes.
- 2 [usually with negative or in questions] • informal Attract the attention of; make an impression on: how does that grab you?Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Yep, I'm using an attention grabbing headline again to get you to read the article.
- The voice is so attention grabbing, right from the first paragraph.
- I try to strike a balance between attention grabbing and classical designs.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- 1A quick sudden clutch or attempt to seize: he made a grab at the pistolMás ejemplos en oraciones
- As soon as I put weight on my feet I lost my balance and fell, only a quick grab for the headboard of my bed saved me from crashing to the floor.
- Many companies want to make a quick grab for market share or return on investment, and with high prices both objectives can be harder to achieve.
- I made a quick grab for her and pulled her down to the bed with me.
- 1.1 [usually with modifier] Computing A frame of video or television footage, digitized and stored as a still image in a computer memory for subsequent display, printing, or editing: I’ve added frame grabs to give a good flavour of what the film is all aboutMás ejemplos en oraciones
- One exception could be the ability to take screen grabs from live video and ship them immediately via e-mail.
- The exhibit features a mélange of mediums, including drawings, photocopied photographs and video frame grabs.
- They had used video grabs taken 2km into the march every three minutes throughout the five hour event.
- 2A mechanical device for clutching, lifting, and moving things, especially materials in bulk.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The lessons had still not been learned by November the following year, when the mechanical grab ripped up part of a late medieval barge near Trig Stairs.
- Their modern tracked cranes equipped with grabs and magnets can be seen operating at the dockside in Sligo harbour.
- 2.1 [as modifier] Denoting a bar or strap for people to hold on to for support or in a moving vehicle: a grab railMás ejemplos en oraciones
- A fall in a shower or bath without a suction fixed rubber mat or grab bars is dangerous.
- Wall-mounted units can break away when subjected to the patient's weight unless they are reinforced with grab bars.
- Elsewhere removal of tripping hazards, installing grab bars and living on a single floor all help.
up for grabs
- • informal Available: a £1 million jackpot is up for grabsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The competition features nine categories and there are plenty of cash prizes up for grabs.
- There are some fantastic prizes up for grabs so get dressed up and come along.
- A winner will be drawn at each meeting and there are a variety of attractive prizes up for grabs.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- We are here to complain about the land grabbers who took our home away.
- There was a huge amount of sympathy while others called us liars and money grabbers,’ he said.
- They are the humble citizens who do their duties without the pomp and ceremony of media grabbers and they refuse to be seduced into a lifestyle that provides the temptation to shred all forms of decency.