A grey crystalline allotropic form of carbon which occurs as a mineral in some rocks and can be made from coke. It is used as a solid lubricant, in pencils, and as a moderator in nuclear reactors.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- For instance, carbon may exist as either graphite or diamond in its solid phase.
- Carbon, in the forms of charcoal, graphite, and diamond, was one of the earliest elements known to man.
- One possibility of this sort of manipulation could turn carbon into either graphite or diamond.
late 18th century: coined in German (Graphit), from Greek graphein 'write' (because of its use as pencil ‘lead’).
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Related work to purify semiconducting nanotubes and remove graphitic contamination is also being carried out.
- Helical microtubules of graphitic carbon have also been found.
- The conventionally measured hardness of graphitic irons is influenced by the graphite, especially in gray iron.
Definición de graphite en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.