- 1A thick oily substance, especially as used as a lubricant: axle greaseMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Someone else stated it had the colour and consistency of axle grease!
- Axle grease also freezes and is warmed with a blowtorch.
- The valley of rocks still bears the marks of early pioneers who wrote their names with axle grease on the rocks.
- 2Animal fat used or produced in cooking: the kitchen walls were black with grease and filthMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The bottles of hot sauce, and salt and pepper seemed to be permanently glazed with years of grease from all the cooking.
- I breathe in the cool air, taste tangs of cooking oil and fried grease.
- Finally, the committee said that food vendors should place a rubber mat under their booths to protect the area from oil and cooking grease.
Pronunciación: /griːs , griːz /[with object] Volver al principio
- Smear or lubricate with grease: grease a shallow baking dish (as adjective greased) a greased baking sheetMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake in a moderately hot oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Mix oats in, spread onto a lightly greased glass baking dish, and refrigerate.
- These would have gone into the oven on baking trays that were greased with butter wrappers, which were kept for ever.
grease the palm of
- • informal Bribe (someone): the branch is alleged to have greased the palms of 130 politicians[grease expressing the sense 'cause to run smoothly' and palm, by association with the taking of money]Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Whether applying for a driving licence, bringing a case to court or simply passing a police checkpoint, greasing the palm of pliant government officials is often the only way to get things done in the country.
- At the behest of his friend, the son goes to the neighbouring town to earn enough money to grease the palm of the panchayat president.
- And you probably think that you can grease the palm of the loan officer to enhance your loan eligibility.
grease the wheels (or skids)
- • informal , chiefly North American Help matters run smoothly: he used his budgetary skills to grease the skids for new projectsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The industry also liberally greases the skids of the legislative process with huge campaign donations, topping $26 million in the last election cycle.
- Students hunt after internships because they often grease the skids for graduation, making it much easier to find a job once the student loans come due.
- First, grease the skids with campaign contributions to key lawmakers.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The pastry was substantial, flaky and greaseless - a tough combination to pull off.
- The frying of tempura, too, is exquisite, lightness itself: the thin brittle batter is greaseless and things like rock shrimps, courgettes and tomatoes are lovely.
- To absorb excess oil, sprinkle a bit of talc on a brush and work it through the hair from scalp to ends to produce a fresh, greaseless finish.
Middle English: from Old French graisse, based on Latin crassus 'thick, fat'.