Definición de grotesque en inglés:
- Poverty is ugly and the most grotesque form of slavery.
- The one true romance has had its legs cut out from under it; we are left with the ugly, grotesque caricature of lust that drives these two to their ultimate doom.
- Even the tots wore their costumes and enjoyed the fun, peering through their grotesque masks, and frightening their elders.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- The 18th-century singeries go back to Jean Bérain, who first hit on the idea c. 1695 of replacing the classical fauns and statues of Renaissance grotesques by figures of monkeys.
- The former is seen in the rectilinear and symmetrical designs, including some carvings and moldings that are formed with characteristic regence strapwork, grotesques, and classical motifs from antiquity.
- The Baroque introduced grotesques along with the heavy ball dangling from the central shaft, anchoring detachable rows of arms that allowed the hanging fixture to mutate vertically.
- His writing - poetry, drama, and opinions - is a curious blend of disciplined classicism and carnival grotesque.
- The adaptation of this decorative style came to be known as grotesque, based on the word grotto.
mid 16th century (as noun): from French crotesque (the earliest form in English), from Italian grottesca, from opera or pittura grottesca 'work or painting resembling that found in a grotto'; ‘grotto’ here probably denoted the rooms of ancient buildings in Rome which had been revealed by excavations, and which contained murals in the grotesque style.
- Example sentences
- Their ridiculously tight shorts are grotesquely immodest.
- Killings were sometimes grotesquely accomplished, with excessive butchery.
- I now see that this position is not only illogical but is also grotesquely unjust.
- Example sentences
- Masked, they were dynamic, varied, and hilarious, so that their masks actually seemed to become their faces, despite their grotesqueness; unmasked, they were slow, hesitant, and awkward, as if ashamed of the material.
- From its opening moments, the film alternates wide-angle panoramas with screen-popping close-ups of the actors, most of whom seem to have been picked for their grotesqueness.
- Most of the minor characters are cartoonish in their grotesqueness, and they provide an effective foil for the two leads.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.