sustantivo (plural Guernseys)
1An animal of a breed of dairy cattle from Guernsey, noted for producing rich, creamy milk.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Besides Jerseys and Holsteins, other US dairy breeds such as Ayrshires, Brown Swiss, Guernseys and Milking Shorthorn have been used successfully in pasture-based systems in different areas of the country.
- The collection, which was sold off following the owner's death, included dairy shorthorns which fetched £1,240, Ayrshires at £610, Aberdeen Angus cattle at £410, and Guernseys at £410.
2.1Australian A football jumper, especially one of the sleeveless kind worn by Australian Rules players.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Perth-born Krakouer is well-known to football fans, playing for the West Australian Football League before pulling on North Melbourne and St Kilda guernseys in the AFL.
- Placing mementoes such as football guernseys or photographs on coffins and playing popular music during funeral services are likely to be discouraged under Catholic Church guidelines.
- To pass the time, several players played a form of Keno in which numbers were selected according to past and present players' guernseys.
get (or be given) a guernsey Australian informal
- Be selected for a football team.Oraciones de ejemplo
- Are any players from the pre-existing teams in this League trying to get a guernsey in this new tele-team?
- You've gotta have a go in the future, I'm aiming towards [the 2004 Olympic Games in] Athens and I'd love to get a guernsey and shoot in [the 2006 Commonwealth Games in] Melbourne.
- 1.1Gain recognition or approval.Oraciones de ejemplo
- The news brigade were mostly old newspaper men, few women got a guernsey then, who distrusted radio techniques and thought the tape recorder was an instrument of the devil.
- Orwell's 1984 predictably got a guernsey, and Animal Farm also apparently figured in the top 100.
- Let's face it: many kids after reaching double-digit birthdays don't read a lot for pleasure and are more interested in television, computer games and physical activities, although information books get a guernsey.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: Guern|sey
Definición de Guernsey en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda