Definición de gulf en inglés:
- The land companies began to dredge canals through the marshlands, opening easy access from the settled towns on land to the gulf.
- Dangerous Reef, located at the mouth of the gulf, is home to the great white shark.
- The day before, I'd taken a tour boat for a ten-hour wildlife cruise into the gulf and fjords west of town.
- The canyons - or gulfs, as the local people call them - are each about five miles long and 800 feet deep and are rimmed almost continuously by sheer sandstone cliffs.
- It wasn't so much a gulf in class, more like a Grand Canyon-style chasm.
- Just pointing out that there's a wide gulf of difference between the scientific theory of evolution and the way evolutionary dogma gets perceived by the masses.
- The activities of these aggressive and communal forces further widen the gulf between different communities.
- The two sides remain sharply polarised, and periodic attempts to bridge the wide gulf between them have fizzled out.
Late Middle English: from Old French golfe, from Italian golfo, based on Greek kolpos 'bosom, gulf'.
The Greek word kolpos had a number of meanings relating to a curved shape, including ‘bosom’, ‘the trough between waves’, ‘the fold of a piece of clothing’, and ‘gulf or bay’. This is where our word gulf came from, via Italian and Old French. We can talk about a gulf between two groups, meaning a great division or difference between them. This was probably influenced by a passage in the Gospel of Luke: ‘Between you and us there is a great gulf set’.
Palabras que riman con gulfengulf
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.