- 1The wood from a broadleaved tree (such as oak, ash, or beech) as distinguished from that of conifers: all hardwood should be treated with stain preservative [count noun]: their import of tropical hardwoodsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Wood benches made from hardwood such as teak, redwood, mahogany, or cedar can stay outside year-round.
- When selecting your decking planks, always check that the timbers are either hardwood or pressure treated softwood.
- The two basic categories of wood are hardwood and softwood.
- 1.1 [count noun] A broadleaved tree that produces hardwood: the land isn’t fertile enough for hardwoods [as modifier]: hardwood forestsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In Washington, they use three main types of habitat: forested riversides with large cottonwoods and other hardwoods, Ponderosa pine forests, especially at the lower edge of the tree line, and Garry oak stands.
- The breadfruit trees, cycads and tall hardwoods of that forest hide hornbills, sea eagles and monkeys.
- Its highest peak scrapes 8,749 feet into the Chihuahuan Desert sky and snags 21 inches of rain a year, enough to nourish these unlikely forests of firs and hardwoods.
- 2(In gardening) mature growth on shrubs and other plants: [as modifier]: hardwood cuttings are usually taken in winterMás ejemplos en oraciones
- When using the second method for rooting hardwood cuttings of deciduous plants you do everything exactly the same as you do with method number one, up to the point where you bury them for the winter.
- Winter may not seem like the best time for gardening, but it's actually an excellent time to propagate plants from hardwood or root cuttings.
- Jostaberries are easily propagated by hardwood stem cuttings.
Más definiciones de hardwoodDefinición de hardwood en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.