- 1A cushion for kneeling on in church, while at prayer: he collected the prayer books and straightened the hassocksMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The side chapels were deserted, save for an elderly aristo woman who knelt on an embroidered hassock, chanting her rosary as she strung the beads along the string.
- Many years ago when visiting St. Mary's church in Cambridge, England, I saw a large hassock with the words embroidered on it: ‘Think - Thank.’
- As a matter of interest, the chairs, a prayer book and a hassock for each seat in the original plan were bought and paid for by a 50 pence (10/-) subscription from the worshipers of the time, prior to the consecration.
- 1.1North American A footstool.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- For what she had in mind, she wished she'd had a simple footstool or hassock, but the pillows from the couch would have to do.
- Put your feet up on a footstool or hassock, or lie on your side.
- Not only is our new library just gorgeous and full of cozy chairs and large hassocks and windows and sunlight and air, but one particular favorite nook is right next to all the poetry books.
- 2A firm clump of grass or matted vegetation in marshy or boggy ground.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- A root will run two feet under ground, afraid to pop up its head, till it finds a hassock of bunch grass or an ironweed root to serve as a protector.
Old English hassuc (in sense 2), of unknown origin.
Más definiciones de hassockDefinición de hassock en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.