1 Botany The directional growth of a plant in response to sunlight. Compare with phototropism.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The adaptive significance of solar tracking in snow buttercups is mediated through the impact of flower heliotropism on paternal and maternal floral environments.
- The heliotropism itself is an adaptation for survival, the plant maximizing sunlight.
- All legume plants do this, so be sure to watch your peas and beans for signs of heliotropism.
1.1 Zoology The tendency of an animal to move towards light.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Using a similar idea in the moral realm, Augustine says that we naturally seek the good and try to turn towards it, as a heliotropic flower seeks the sun.
- Like a heliotropic plant, she turned towards warmth and light, which unfortunately were the blinding flashes of cameras.
- For fourteen years, off and on, I have spent the spring on the south coast of Cornwall, in the heliotropic village of St Mawes.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: helio|trop¦ism
Definición de heliotropism en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda