sustantivo[mass noun] Botany
The condition (e.g. in primroses) of having styles of different lengths relative to the stamens in the flowers of different individual plants, to reduce self-fertilization.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Flowering plants have several mechanisms that have evolved to prevent self-fertilization, e.g. self-incompatibility systems, heterostyly and dichogamy.
- Although gender specialization is not a regular feature of heterostyly, reproductive differences between morphs has been reported for most studied distylous species.
- Darwin's correlation between the phenotype and the cross-compatibility of the two forms of flower provided the foundation for subsequent analyses of heterostyly in Primula.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Field observations confirmed that the species is heterostylous with the pistil and anthers exhibiting reciprocal heights in the two morphs, although pollen size and sculpturing do not vary.
- Pentanisia appears to exhibit dimorphisms typically associated with heterostylous plants.
- Both F. jinshaense and F. gilesii are self-incompatible with heterostylous flowers and are diploid.
Definición de heterostyly en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda