Definición de holdfast en inglés:
1.1A staple or clamp securing an object to a wall or other surface.
- Lattice panels, wires, or rough surfaces give tendrils and holdfasts a place to latch onto.
- Furthermore, the facts that crowns and holdfasts rarely occur attached but that each is preserved with attached incomplete columns, suggest that crowns were broken from their holdfasts prior to burial.
- Crowns commonly have some length of column still attached, and holdfasts, less commonly recognized than crowns, also have some length of column attached.
1.2 Biology A stalked organ by which an alga or other simple aquatic plant or animal is attached to a substrate.
- At the base of the stalk is the holdfast, which cements the alga to the rock and prevents it from being washed away.
- Heavy grazing may damage and weaken the holdfasts which anchor the algae.
- The algae were decapitated, clamped with vice grips at their holdfasts, and secured to the bottom of a unidirectional current tank with an ordinary house brick.
Definición de holdfast en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia