- 1 (often holidays) An extended period of leisure and recreation, especially one spent away from home or in travelling: I spent my summer holidays on a farm Fred was on holiday in SpainMás ejemplos en oraciones
- She travelled to America on holiday for the second time in February 2001.
- Our parents are good friends and as children we went on camping trips and spent holidays together.
- Danny was a sixteen-year-old boy who she'd met on holiday in Spain last summer.
- 1.1A day of festivity or recreation when no work is done: 25 December is an official public holidayMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Special and often ostentatious efforts are mounted for public holidays and festivals.
- It also lets you know when there are public holidays, so that you can either avoid them or make sure you're there to join in!
- However, unlike the USA and Canada, Britain does not celebrate the harvest with an official public holiday.
- 1.2 [as modifier] Characteristic of a holiday; festive: a holiday atmosphereMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The appeal has come from the local St. Patrick's Day Parade organisers who want the town to take on a festive and holiday atmosphere for the weekend.
- There was a very relaxed holiday atmosphere in the village over the festive season.
- I have managed to get two weeks off which will be great, although it is only 2 weeks away I am beginning to feel festive and in full holiday mode.
- 2 [with modifier] A short period during which the payment of instalments, tax, etc. may be suspended: a pension holidayMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In some circumstances - though this is relatively rare - a creditor may be prepared to give you a short payment holiday.
- Of course on the other hand, we could lose out on the house we want to purchase, lose our buyer and get into real financial difficulty when our mortgage payment holiday ends next month.
- The added bonus is that that I only need to make one repayment in the first five months and I can have a month's payment holiday every single year for the term of the loan.
verbo[no object, with adverbial of place] Volver al principio
- Spend a holiday in a specified place: he is holidaying in ItalyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He flew with friends to Thailand on Wednesday, December 22 to spend three weeks holidaying on the coast.
- Fears were growing today for three York tourists who were holidaying in Thailand when the Asian earthquake struck.
- It is very much a romantic getaway with more couples holidaying there than families or single people.
Old English hāligdæg 'holy day'.