- 1Having the same relation, relative position, or structure.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The Portuguese Society of Plant Physiology, in collaboration with the Spanish homologous society, is organizing the 9th Luso-Spanish Plant Physiology Congress and the 16th Meeting of the Spanish Society of Plant Physiology.
- In certain primal traditions, the maze or labyrinth played a homologous role to that of the sacred wilderness area - in fact, the two may have been indistinguishable.
- The effort, in part, is to determine whether academic institutions are homologous with organizations in other fields.
- 1.1 Biology (Of organs) similar in position, structure, and evolutionary origin but not necessarily in function: a seal’s flipper is homologous with the human arm Often contrasted with analogous.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Structures normally found at the nonmutant leaf edge are absent from the affected region of the mutant leaf and leaf homologous organs.
- Adaptationist arguments are essential because they suggest the function of homologous and analogous physiological structures.
- The swim bladder is homologous to the lungs of tetrapods.
- 1.2 Biology (Of chromosomes) pairing at meiosis and having the same structural features and pattern of genes.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Pairing is an essential step in organizing and properly distributing homologous chromosomes during meiosis.
- During prophase I of meiosis, homologous chromosomes align, synapse, and cross over.
- Crossing over ensures segregation of homologous chromosomes in meiosis I.
- 1.3 Chemistry (Of a series of chemical compounds) having the same functional group but differing in composition by a fixed group of atoms.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Because of these regularities, the members of each group are known as a homologous series.
- Chemically they are classed as alcohols, which are representative of a homologous series.
- Moreover, the level of amino acid sequence divergence between homologous proteins is relatively low, allowing us to gauge the patterns of amino acid substitution.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Yogic meditation allowed Vedic sages to see in their minds' eyes, the likenesses, homologies and equivalences between the cosmic, the terrestrial and the spiritual.
- Actually, the argument is not contradicted by convergences, and the reason the argument is not contradicted is that scientists have reasonable methods for distinguishing between analogies and homologies.
- The natural emphasis on discovering commonalities, homologies and analogies that simplify has distracted us from the main result of evolution, which is to create differences.
mid 17th century: via medieval Latin from Greek homologos 'agreeing, consistent', from homos 'same' + logos 'ratio, proportion'.