1 (also humpback whale) A baleen whale which has a hump (instead of a dorsal fin) and long white flippers.
- Megaptera novaeangliae, family Balaenopteridae
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Visitors to the site where a humpback whale beached itself at the weekend were shocked to discover the mammal had already been put down yesterday.
- The humpback whale creates the most complex, long-lasting, repetitive sound patterns of any non-human animal on our planet.
- For a musician it would be difficult, if not impossible, to define the sounds of the humpback whale without using musical terms.
2 (also humpback salmon) A small salmon with dark spots on the back, native to the North Pacific and introduced into the NW Atlantic. Also called pink salmon.
- Oncorhynchus gorbuscha, family Salmonidae
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- And you can end up looking like a hunchback: The incline platform prods you into a humpbacked posture.
- Camel racing, a favorite pastime in the Middle East, has taken flack from human-rights advocates for the young boys imported to jockey the humpbacked desert beasts.
- The humpbacked gardener emptied the saucepan onto the roots of the flame trees, his favorites, and doused them with water drawn from the river several miles away.
Definición de humpback en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.