A prolonged refusal to eat, carried out as a protest by a prisoner: one hundred students began a hunger strike [mass noun]: political prisoners who had gone on hunger strike
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- When the meeting promised for Monday morning did not materialise, the detainees began a hunger strike.
- She's adamant that she'll begin an indefinite hunger strike once she reaches jail.
- In Turkish prisons eight people are on hunger strike in protest at prison isolation.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- A spokesperson for the hunger striker said that Congress had given itself fat salaries and pensions while the needs of the vast majority of retired workers were constantly overlooked.
- With parents and siblings and spouse and children sitting around the hunger striker's bedside, he knew that the last thing he would do for them was to break their hearts and their happiness.
- He was jailed as a freedom rider, arrested as a war protester and, at the United Nations headquarters in New York, as a hunger striker against nuclear weapons.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: hun¦ger strike
Definición de hunger strike en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda