1The induction of a state of consciousness in which a person apparently loses the power of voluntary action and is highly responsive to suggestion or direction. Its use in therapy, typically to recover suppressed memories or to allow modification of behaviour, has been revived but is still controversial.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Others use hypnosis to recover repressed memories of sexual abuse or of past lives.
- Treatment approaches have included traditional psychoanalysis, hypnosis, and behavior therapy techniques.
- More recently you will recall the hullabaloo about the use of hypnosis to recover lost memories, to help solve crimes, or in therapy.
1.1A hypnotic state: I was regressed under hypnosis
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Under hypnosis, I was regressed to a time I felt this feeling.
- Many people have experimented with past life regression under hypnosis and claim to recall experiences from previous existences.
- Has anyone experienced past-life regression via hypnosis or other means?
Late 19th century: from Greek hupnos 'sleep' + -osis.
Palabras que riman con hypnosisapotheosis, chlorosis, cirrhosis, diagnosis, halitosis, kenosis, meiosis, metempsychosis, misdiagnosis, mononucleosis, myxomatosis, necrosis, neurosis, osmosis, osteoporosis, prognosis, psittacosis, psychosis, sclerosis, symbiosis, thrombosis, toxoplasmosis, trichinosis, tuberculosis
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: hyp|no¦sis
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda