1The point within the earth where an earthquake originates.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Displacement at the hypocentre of the earthquake must be sufficiently large to propagate to the surface.
- Accurate determinations of hypocentres indicate that the upper part of the basement to the Simple Folded Zone is actively deforming.
- The starting point of an earthquake under ground is called the hypocentre or focus.
2The point on the earth’s surface directly above or below an exploding nuclear bomb: the Hall’s position at the hypocentre of the blast saved it from more severe damage
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Directly underneath the hypocentre and not far from this point the damage was massive.
- ‘If you project that hypocentre to the surface, you would get the epicentre which is the latitude and longitude,’ he said.
- Those who were within two kilometres of the hypocentre had 50 times the expected incidence within five years.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: hypo|centre
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda