Definición de hypotaxis en inglés:
sustantivo[mass noun] Grammar
The subordination of one clause to another. Contrasted with parataxis.
- In reality, as you might have guessed, a mixture of parataxis and hypotaxis is far more common.
- The first of these is a form of parataxis, or linear extension; the second is a form of hypotaxis, or extension of hierarchical depth.
- Parmenides’ poem, despite its first-glance resemblance to epic poetry, is a mess of complicated hypotaxis.
late 19th century: from Greek hupotaxis, from hupo 'under' + taxis 'arrangement'.
- Example sentences
- It is argued that the hypotactic constructions present in the NS's discourse provide explicit signals of logical and prominence relations.
- This form of syntax represents a shift from an earlier preference for hypotactic and paratactic (explicitly coordinated) syntax.
Definición de hypotaxis en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan