Definición de infest en inglés:
- Fleas infest the animal (rats, but other rodents as well), and these fleas move freely over to human hosts.
- His McGill ghetto apartment is infested with mice and, try as he might, he can't seem to get rid of them.
- The species was believed to have been wiped out in 1918 when rats infested their home island.
This has the sense ‘torment, harass’ in early examples. It goes back to Latin infestare ‘assail’, from infestus ‘hostile’. The current sense ‘trouble in large numbers’ dates from the mid 16th century.
- Example sentences
- Campaigners warn that Britain's streets could be plagued by vermin infestations if people continue to dump their rubbish irresponsibly.
- Movies about the end of the world or uncontrollable plagues and infestations are huge box office successes.
- Indeed, worm infestations, lice and a variety of other health problems plague the residents of the water villages.
Words that rhyme with infestabreast, arrest, attest, beau geste, behest, bequest, best, blessed, blest, breast, Brest, Bucharest, Budapest, celeste, chest, contest, crest, digest, divest, guest, hest, ingest, jest, lest, Midwest, molest, nest, northwest, pest, prestressed, protest, quest, rest, self-addressed, self-confessed, self-possessed, southwest, suggest, test, Trieste, unaddressed, unexpressed, unimpressed, unpressed, unstressed, vest, west, wrest, zest
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.