1A large leather military boot reaching to the knee.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- After dinner, Roger appeared in military fatigues, complete with hat, sunglasses, jackboots, and swagger stick.
- And a combatant could choose more propitious venues for the slugfest than the steps of the Hotel Ukraine in the heart of Moscow, hard by Lenin's tomb where minions of the Red Army goosestep in jackboots at all hours.
- Within only six weeks, the French army had collapsed and shell-shocked Parisians were forced to watch as German soldiers paraded through their streets, the sound of their jackboots signalling the defeat of a great power.
1.1Used as a symbol of cruel or authoritarian behaviour or rule: a country under the jackboot of colonialism
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Of course the entire region really was under the jackboot, if you like, of apartheid rule.
- One less problem now that this voice of free thought has been stamped out under the jackboot.
- The only way that successive regimes in Jakarta have been able to prevent the rise of separatist sentiment, however, is with the jackboot of the military.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- To conclude, Melbourne is a vibrant, bustling metropolis, in which parking restrictions are enforced with far too much enthusiasm and vigour by jackbooted bureaucrats.
- But I can't get together with my buddies and play a friendly poker game without the threat of a bunch of jackbooted thugs in police uniforms busting into my house.
- Gore Vidal, much to his own surprise no doubt, manages to prove that he is once again quite capable of dissenting without him getting carted off at midnight by jackbooted thugs.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: jack|boot
Definición de jackboot en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda