- 1A hard, typically green stone used for ornaments and implements and consisting of the minerals jadeite or nephrite: [as modifier]: a jade figurineMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Of the two kinds of jade, jadeite and nephrite, the former is harder than the latter and cannot be scratched with a penknife blade.
- Until recently few people considered Wyoming to have potential for gemstones other than nephrite jade.
- Ancient amber, jade and other precious stones are lovingly re-created in polymer clay, as well as newer, space-age materials, such as niobium.
- 1.1 [count noun] An ornament made of jade.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Our examination of this ornament and several other jades has provided evidence for the use of rotary tools during the Ming and Qing dynasties.
- There are some 1,000 relics of dazzling artistic and cultural value - bronzes and gold implements, jades, pottery, cowrie shell and elephant tusks, sacrificial objects, weapons and beads.
- ADMIRERS of ancient Chinese jades have frequently noted the curious white, chalky areas which invade the otherwise firm polished surfaces of many artefacts.
- 1.2 (also jade green) A light bluish-green: a silk blouse in a vivid jade greenMás ejemplos en oraciones
- His eyes were a sweet shade in between jade green and light hazel that Rebecca had once admitted to being jealous of, and he hadn't let her live it down since.
- He had a mushroom-cut of jade-green hair, sky blue eyes, a tan skin tone, and some strong muscles.
- She was a collection of pleasing colors, with her honey - smooth tan, jade-green eyes, and the silky blonde hair with its red and gold and even some brownish lights.
late 16th century: from French le jade (earlier l'ejade), from Spanish piedra de ijada 'stone of the flank' (i.e. stone for colic, which it was believed to cure).
- 2An old or worn-out horse.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He got the armor and also an old jade of a horse, which limped on three legs, dragging the fourth after it.
- Lie down shamelessly, Old horse who stumbles over every rut. Resign yourself, my heart; sleep your brutish sleep. Conquered, foundered spirit! For you, old jade, Love has no more relish, no more than war.
late Middle English: of unknown origin.