Definición de Joneses en inglés:
plural sustantivo(usually the Joneses)
A person’s neighbours or social equals.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- I'm not sure which is the more amusing, though: neighbours twitching curtains to spy on the Joneses next door, or the antics of otherwise respectable citizens who view their insurance contracts as a better bet than the lottery.
- The culture of the Smith business matters to the Smiths and the Jones' culture matters to the Joneses.
- And to be on the bleeding edge of hip, people instinctively look for ‘the next thing,’ in order to be always seen as a leader, an early adopter, to distinguish oneself from the Joneses.
- keep up with the Joneses
- Try to emulate or not be outdone by one’s neighbours.Oraciones de ejemplo
- If you are guilty of the sin of jealousy, you have this redeeming feature: you want what your neighbor has so much that you will struggle to keep up with the Joneses.
- There is an element of keeping up with the Joneses, where people are constantly looking at their neighbours to see how they are doing.
- You are bombarded with this stuff - money will make you happy, and keeping up with the Joneses.
Late 19th century: from Jones, a commonly found British surname.
Definición de Joneses en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda