- 1A person who manages or looks after something or someone: I can’t stop him—I’m his wife, not his keeperMás ejemplos en oraciones
- As the fairways are rapidly improving from the drought, no doubt the green keepers are managing to get the sprinklers working overtime.
- On the granting of a firearms certificate ownership is lost and the user is simply the licensed keeper.
- Apparently customers are a big hassle to shop keepers and waiters in Europe.
- 1.1A custodian of a museum or gallery collection: [as title]: he was Keeper of Western Art at the Ashmolean MuseumMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The keeper of special collections there, Richard Ovenden, has been striving mightily to raise the necessary millions.
- The new keeper of the mineral collection at the university, Dr. Bill Minarik, took attendees to view the collection.
- The keeper of the William Morris Gallery, Norah Gillow, took a more positive view.
- 1.2An animal attendant employed in a zoo.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Right now, the animal keepers from the circus stay at the zoo, attending to all the needs of the chimps.
- The animal has been described as looking like a pipe cleaner by his keepers and joins animals including deer and reindeer.
- According to animal keepers, hippos by nature require their ‘corner of the pool’ in the enclosure.
- 1.3 short for gamekeeper.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Now numerous pairs are established safely in the wild mountain country which was the home of their ancestors, and from which they were driven by the persecution of Victorian keepers and trophy hunters.
- In Scottish winters, while the rest of the country yearns for sun, the keepers on grouse moors pray for a deep, deep frost.
- From the late 18th century, successive dukes commissioned images of members of their households, particularly the keepers and huntsmen.
- 2 short for goalkeeper or wicketkeeper.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It was the Blackburn keeper's second penalty save of the competition.
- Sixty seconds later, he swerved away from the keeper's clawing gloves to stroke home his 21st goal of an astounding debut campaign.
- The Italian has been one of the best keepers in English football for quite a while now and it would be cruel if he were to spend the majority of this season on the bench.
- 3A plain ring worn to preserve a hole in a pierced ear lobe; a sleeper.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Occasionally, the patient may require a place keeper for the pierced location.
- 4 [with adjective] A food or drink that remains in a specified condition if stored: hazelnuts are good keepersMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Bramleys are good keepers so I will lay them out in cardboard boxes, not touching, and store them in the basement where it is cool and dry.
- 5A fish large enough to be kept when caught: these lakes consistently give up healthy, pound-size keepersMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Fishermen have made adjustments lately to keep more keepers and feed fewer to sharks.
- And unlike most fishing for trout under the lights, almost all of the fish were keepers, easily measuring more than the 15-inch minimum.
- Today, the bag limit on red snapper is four fish with a 16-inch minimum - sometimes, you're lucky to catch that many keepers.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Charles I was the last monarch to sleep there, Cromwell wintered there, while the Earl of Linlithgow forfeited his titles and hereditary keepership by supporting the ‘Old Pretender’.
- Over the past decade, under the keepership of Julian Treuherz, the Walker has both broadened and focused its collecting policy.