- 1The person who leads or commands a group, organization, or country: the leader of a protest group a natural leaderMás ejemplos en oraciones
chief, head, principal, boss; commander, captain; figurehead, controller, superior, kingpin, headman, mover and shaker; chairman, chairwoman, chairperson, chair, convener, moderator; director, managing director, MD, manager, superintendent, supervisor, overseer, administrator, employer, master, mistress, foreman; president, premier, governor; ruler, monarch, king, queen, sovereign, emperor, tsar, prince, princess, lord, lord and master; elder, patriarch; guru, mentor, authority• informal boss man, skipper, gaffer, guv'nor, top dog, number one, big cheese, big noise, bigwig, big shot
- The thinking will guide leaders in four questions to be asked about technology and ministry.
- As a result Blighty is starting a new series following the party leaders as they frantically smother the country in baby kisses.
- We call upon one to bless our gardens before planting and another to guide our world leaders when faced with war.
- 1.1 (also Leader of the House) British A member of the government officially responsible for initiating business in Parliament.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Surely the Leader of the House can see that that is not parliamentary.
- These were hurled at Michael Foot, the then Leader of the House, in the House of Commons, on July 6, 1978.
- I see the Leader of the House, who is also the Minister in the chair, shaking his head.
- 1.2The person or team that is winning a sporting competition at a particular time: Nora was up among the leadersMás ejemplos en oraciones
- It is a fairly common occurrence to have players on the same team being a league leader and a runnerup.
- The boys may add the league title to the team cup as league leaders with only two matches left to play this season.
- The four teams will play each other and the group leader and the second team will meet at the finals.
- 1.3An organization or company that is the most advanced or successful in a particular area: a leader in the use of video conferencingMás ejemplos en oraciones
- That business dated back to the 1800s and it was a one-time leader in the area.
- A lot of these new concepts are coming out of Europe, but Canada is considered a world leader in the area.
- The important thing is that if one achieves this, one would also become a technology leader in this area.
- 2The principal player in a music group.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The band leader stopped the music and made the announcement that President Kennedy had been shot in Dallas.
- He is an avid composer, trumpet player and leader of small groups.
- He was born in Dublin where his father was a popular band leader and trumpet player.
- 2.1British The principal first violinist in an orchestra.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It was the day when the second fiddle became the leader of the orchestra.
- She was given a dozen encores and then the orchestra leader decided that enough was enough.
- On stage at the concert hall is Roland, the quiet and intense orchestra leader, who is befriended by local musician and The Who fanatic, Alex.
- 2.2North American A conductor of a small musical group.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- One of the first documented accounts of his conducting was as a choir leader in England.
- Then I would take the band out on the show because the orchestra leader didn't want to conduct out in front of the public.
- She turned to the members of the orchestra and the orchestra leader - they took their bows.
- 3British A leading article in a newspaper.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Newspapers have leaders or editorials or whatever they call them where you live, but not poetry.
- In leaders and news reports, the paper's editors and reporters ignore the unsustainable nature of endless economic growth on a finite planet.
- Today the Guardian newspaper even featured blogging in its editorial leader column.
- 4.1A length of filament attached to the end of a fishing line to carry the hook or fly.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- I stuck out the free rod for Belinda, and I carried on changing the leaders on the other two rods.
- If you find that tangling still occurs, shorten the leader length and slow the speed of the drop.
- I carry a few nine foot leaders with a 6lb point which I use when fishing waters where there is a chance of hooking a barbel.
- 5A shoot of a plant at the apex of a stem or main branch.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Then she chooses which of the new shoots will be the leader, or main stem.
- The tree's main stem or stems is called a leader, a continuation of the trunk.
- A new leader cannot develop on plants that have been cut back too far.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- After being leaderless for several hours, the government quickly consolidated its power and proved that it was capable of controlling the situation.
- They were not a united minority mainly due to the fact that they suffered from such blows as being leaderless and economically dependent.
- The trend reveals an emerging movement that's leaderless, global, anarchic and chaotic but it is a movement in which ordinary people can participate en masse to voice their concerns and bring about change.