- 1 [attributive] Relating to the law: the European legal systemMás ejemplos en oraciones
- This was no doubt the expensive legal advice it was given.
- Texas's public defence system which provides legal advice for those who can't afford it, is notorious for its abysmal standards.
- He declined to name them but said he advised the officials to seek legal advice and to speak with their insurers.
- 1.1Appointed or required by the law: a legal requirementMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The other vehicles in its fleet do not meet the legal requirements and in effect should not be allowed on the road.
- Complaints requiring legal action will be forwarded to the Ministry of Justice.
- Oh sure, it's a legal requirement for someone such as me who is a contractor.
- 1.2 Law Recognized by common or statute law, as distinct from equity.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- 26 Women were more likely to turn to equity courts than common law ones for legal resolution.
- It's crazy to argue that we're ever going to get significant legal change from common law courts.
- Certainly, the appellant does not bear any moral, as distinct from legal, responsibility for what occurred.
- 1.3Relating to theological legalism.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The Torah comprises the first five books and contains a mixture of narratives and legal texts.
- Is is legal to work by healing on the Sabbath day?
- 2Permitted by law: he claimed that it had all been legalMás ejemplos en oraciones
lawful, legitimate, licit, within the law, legalized, valid; permissible, permitted, allowable, allowed, above board, admissible, acceptable; authorized, sanctioned, warranted, licensed, official, enforceable, constitutional, statutory, statutable, ex cathedra, binding, bona fide, genuine; right, proper, sound, just, fair, rightful, de jure, honest, upright
- In other words, the big killers in Scotland are the legal drugs - tobacco and alcohol.
- Alcohol is, of course, a legal and socially acceptable drug, even though it may actually be more harmful to the body than some of the illegal drugs.
- By far the most dangerous drugs are legal, with alcohol and tobacco, accounting for 150,000 deaths every year.
- 3US Denoting a size of paper that measures 22 × 35.5 cm (8.5 × 14 inches): a yellow legal padMás ejemplos en oraciones
- When he saw something of note, he scrawled it on a folded up piece of yellow legal paper he kept in his coat pocket.
- Sudler handed Mr Cool a sheet of yellow legal paper and sauntered out.
- The deed was on posh legal paper.
- a legally binding contract legally, we’re still very much marriedMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In Victorian times she would legally have had to follow me home, as she would have been my property.
- When someone disappears you have to wait seven years before legally they can be declared dead.
- He said the bar often employed four or more doormen every night, more than legally required.
late Middle English (in the sense 'to do with Mosaic law'): from French, or from Latin legalis, from lex, leg- 'law'. Compare with loyal.