- 1The occurrence of a natural electrical discharge of very short duration and high voltage between a cloud and the ground or within a cloud, accompanied by a bright flash and typically also thunder: a tremendous flash of lightningMás ejemplos en oraciones
- They shoot up from the tops of thunderstorms about the same moment lightning discharges within the storm cloud.
- They saw the flashes of lightning within the dark cloud looming ahead of them.
- Low, dark clouds boiled overhead and lightning flashed and thunder rolled down the mountainside.
- 1.1 [count noun] • literary A flash or discharge of lightning: the sky was a mass of black cloud out of which lightnings flashedMás ejemplos en oraciones
- And there were voices, and thunders, and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such as was not seen since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great.
- Accelerators fire big ball lightnings, and these ball lightnings will bounce off the walls and fly about the room chaotically.
- And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled.
adjetivo[attributive] Volver al principio
- Very quick: a lightning cure for his hangover galloping across the country at lightning speedMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Like the folk healers of old, Callahan thinks it is his magic that is effecting cures at lightning speed.
- Thomas reached up with lightning speed and was suddenly holding a bat.
- Roman is lightning quick and improving every day in practice, and Bean showed playmaking ability in the preseason.
lightning never strikes twice in the same place
- • proverb An unusual situation or event is unlikely to happen again in exactly the same circumstances or to the same person.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Thinking that lightning never strikes twice in the same place, one year after the incident administrators decided to place the figure back on his pedestal.
- It is said that lightning never strikes twice in the same place.
- It is a myth that lightning never strikes twice in the same place.
Middle English: special use of lightening (verbal noun from lighten2).
The form lightning is historically a contracted form of lightening (it was at one time spelled light’ning) but the two forms are now two distinct words. In the sense thunder and lightning and lightning speed , the spelling is always lightning, while in the sense ‘make or become lighter’ the spelling is always lightening.
Más definiciones de lightningDefinición de lightning en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.