sustantivo (plural lingos or lingoes)• informal , often • humorous
- 1A foreign language or local dialect: it doesn’t matter if you can’t speak the lingoMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Just wave the camera and smile if you can't speak the local lingo.
- Felicity of language is a strong point, and he switches with ease from English into the local lingo.
- Scientists searching for patterns within this cacophony of lingoes are convinced that languages hold pivotal clues to questions about human history that other areas of study have been unable to answer.
- 1.1The vocabulary or jargon of a particular subject or group of people: computer lingoMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Each subject has its own lingo, meaning that, where appropriate, he lays his particular accent on thicker.
- He should bounce back, as we say in the medical lingo, within a few days, I think.
- He preferred not to trust someone ahead of himself, so he even learned the medical lingo.
mid 17th century: probably via Portuguese lingoa from Latin lingua 'tongue'.