sustantivo (plural loblollies)
- Pinus taeda, family Pinaceae.
- In loblolly pine, the leading timber species of North America, the physical and chemical properties of wood have been studied extensively in a single population of modest size.
- Dry woodland has a diversity of species but is dominated by loblolly pine, rock chestnut oak, and a shrubby layer of azaleas and New Jersey tea.
- Both experienced considerable damage from an ice-storm in 1994, which appeared to have had the greatest negative impact on loblolly pine.
- Gordonia lasianthus, family Theaceae.
- Swamp bay, loblolly bay, and swamp dogwood are plentiful; the Virginia chain fern and the swamp fern are almost always present.
- After lunch, we abandon our canoes and slog through knee-high water to Panther Mound, a raised piece of land, or hammock, thick with gumbo-limbo trees, loblollies, and strangler figs.
- Jonathan Evans, who teaches biology at the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee, says the industry needs to quit pushing the fantasy that replacing all these trees with loblolly is ‘reforestation.’
Late 16th century (denoting thick gruel): the reason for the application of the word to the two plants, and the word's origin, are unknown.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: lob|lolly
Definición de loblolly en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.