Definición de loggerhead en inglés:
1 (also loggerhead turtle) A reddish-brown turtle with a very large head, occurring chiefly in warm seas.
- Caretta caretta, family Cheloniidae
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The second turtle, a loggerhead turtle, was taken in by aquarium personnel when it was still a hatchling.
- Both the leatherback and loggerhead turtle could face extinction within 10 to 30 years if international fishing practices are not dramatically altered, he added.
- Both the green turtle, which can weigh up to 205 kilograms, and the loggerhead turtle are now classified as endangered by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature.
2 (also loggerhead shrike) A widespread North American shrike, having mainly grey plumage with a black eyestripe, wings, and tail.
- Lanius ludovicianus, family Laniidae
Oraciones de ejemplo
- We also provided a $10,800 grant to fund the development and initial implementation of a Candidate Conservation Agreement for the Santa Catalina Island fox and the island loggerhead shrike.
- Joshua trees are monicots, grotesquely oversized lilies, with contorted limbs and trunks armored with spikes, which are used skillfully by the loggerhead shrike to impale its prey.
- The young also cross paths with the loggerhead shrike, a bird that impales its prey before eating.
- at loggerheads
- In violent dispute or disagreement: councillors were at loggerheads with the government over the grant allocation[Perhaps a use of loggerhead in the late 17th-century sense 'long-handled iron instrument for heating liquids and tar' (when wielded as a weapon)]Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The two men had been at loggerheads over a long-running dispute about devolution.
- The two countries have long been at loggerheads over their maritime boundary, a dispute that centres on the ownership of Mbana Island, in the Gulf of Guinea.
- These North American basketball stars are at loggerheads as their teams prepare for tomorrow's Superbowl clash.
Definición de loggerhead en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda