Definición de lungwort en inglés:
1A bristly herbaceous European plant of the borage family, typically having white-spotted leaves and pink flowers which turn blue as they age.
[so named because the leaves were said to have the appearance of a diseased lung]
- Genus Pulmonaria, family Boraginaceae: several species, in particular P. officinalis
- For a sophisticated color combo, consider blue lungwort, so named because it was once thought to have medicinal qualities related to the lungs, and the later-flowering pale yellow Narcissus ‘Jenny’.
- While exploring the woods near his home, he came across a forest meadow erupting in purple pasqueflowers, blue lungworts, yellow anemones and white corydalis.
- Flowering bulbs such as hyacinths, daffodils, crocuses, and tulips, along with hellebores, lungworts, and heathers carpet the ground beneath.
2 (also tree lungwort) A large lichen which grows on trees, forming lobed fronds which are green or brown above and orange-brown below.
[so named because of its former use to treat lung disease, because of its apparent resemblance to lung tissue]
- Lobaria pulmonaria, order Peltigerales
- A number of ancient woodland indicators are present here, including tree lungwort, woodruff and sanicle.
- The tree lungwort was once used as herbal remedy and is only found in the oldest of woodlands.
- Demanding or unusual-looking lichen species, such as tree lungwort and Arctic kidney lichen, are also found in the area.
Definición de lungwort en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan