Definición de lungwort en inglés:
1A bristly herbaceous European plant of the borage family, typically having white-spotted leaves and pink flowers which turn blue as they age.
[so named because the leaves were said to have the appearance of a diseased lung]
- Genus Pulmonaria, family Boraginaceae: several species, in particular P. officinalis
- For a sophisticated color combo, consider blue lungwort, so named because it was once thought to have medicinal qualities related to the lungs, and the later-flowering pale yellow Narcissus ‘Jenny’.
- While exploring the woods near his home, he came across a forest meadow erupting in purple pasqueflowers, blue lungworts, yellow anemones and white corydalis.
- Flowering bulbs such as hyacinths, daffodils, crocuses, and tulips, along with hellebores, lungworts, and heathers carpet the ground beneath.
2 (also tree lungwort) A large lichen which grows on trees, forming lobed fronds which are green or brown above and orange-brown below.
[so named because of its former use to treat lung disease, because of its apparent resemblance to lung tissue]
- Lobaria pulmonaria, order Peltigerales
- A number of ancient woodland indicators are present here, including tree lungwort, woodruff and sanicle.
- The tree lungwort was once used as herbal remedy and is only found in the oldest of woodlands.
- Demanding or unusual-looking lichen species, such as tree lungwort and Arctic kidney lichen, are also found in the area.
Definición de lungwort en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary