An order of insects that comprises the biting lice. See also Phthiraptera.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- We found feather mites and feather lice (Mallophaga) on all species of birds and at every site.
- If that were also the case in Barn Swallows, individuals with a high parasite load would have to increase their foraging efficiency through an increase in flapping flight to balance the extra metabolic cost due to Mallophaga.
- However, none of the birds in our sample suffered from feather breakage when filmed, and effects of Mallophaga on flight behavior through breakage can therefore be excluded as an explanation for our results.
mallophagan sustantivo& adjetivo
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- While these mouthparts are not primarily designed to pierce skin some mallophagans do feed on blood.
- Mites and mallophagan lice should be preserved and stored in 70% isopropyl alcohol.
- The head of the mallophagan is wider than the prothorax.
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek mallos 'lock of wool' + -phagos 'eating'.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: Mal|loph¦aga
Definición de Mallophaga en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda