- 1 (also Manila hemp) [mass noun] The strong fibre of a Philippine plant, used for rope, matting, paper, etc.: [as modifier]: Manila rope
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The plant is Musa textilis, family Musaceae
- Manila paper is made chiefly from old Manila hemp ropes and is valuable as a strong wrapping paper.
- Therefore, we arrived at a feasible product through mixing the silk fiber with the Manila hemp fiber.
- Sansevieria or bow-string hemp has been tested in Florida as a possible substitute for Manila hemp.
- 1.1 (also Manila paper) Strong brown paper, originally made from Manila hemp: [as modifier]: he took a brown manila folder from a drawerMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The assembly saw delegates housed in five-star hotels and carrying upmarket Bonia-brand bags, instead of the usual Manila paper envelopes.
- Marie just rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to the piece of thick Manila paper the teacher was handing out.
- The bearded man left the room and returned a moment later carrying two thick Manila folders which he handed to Cain.
late 17th century (as an adjective meaning 'from Manila'): from Manila1.