Definición de metathesis en inglés:
sustantivo (plural metatheses /-siːz/)
1 [mass noun] Grammar The transposition of sounds or letters in a word: he attributes the metathesis of the last two sounds to the Creole tendency to end words with a vowel
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- X sometimes alternates with sk by metathesis: Manx for earlier Mansk; piskey as a variant of pixie; ax as a dialect form of ask.
- We are dealing here with a phenomenon called metathesis (pronounced mih-TATH-uh-sis), the switching of two adjacent sounds within a word.
- It looks like Safire is assuming a metathesis and then a reshaping to match other cular words, which would supply a/y.
2 (also metathesis reaction) Chemistry another term for double decomposition.
- Recently there has also been a growing interest in utilising what is known as the alkene metathesis reaction for altering chain-lengths of ‘oils’ to form new compounds.
- I've never done an olefin metathesis reaction, which means that the trend started without me and will leave without me.
- In South Africa, interest in alkene metathesis research is growing.
late 16th century: from Greek, from metatithenai 'transpose, change the position of'.
- Example sentences
- It is suggested here that metathetic continua may not be amenable to investigation as relative class concepts.
- Here are a few more words that are metathetic forms of former words.
- There is a great deal of debate as to whether or not stimuli that are part of a metathetic continuum can be explained by the Power Law.
- Example sentences
- The metathetical process to generate isocyanates allows also for facile formation of sterically demanding aryl isocyanide, by a deoxygenation route.
- Now it is certainly possible to rig up such a metathetical reaction where the ions change partners and both precipitate!
- Furthermore, we have found that the throughput for the process is improved when an ammonium salt is used for the metathetical second step of the process.
Definición de metathesis en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan