- 1An object which is forcibly propelled at a target, either by hand or from a mechanical weapon: one of the players was hit on the head by a missile thrown by a spectator
- 1.1A weapon that is self-propelled or directed by remote control, carrying conventional or nuclear explosive: the plane disintegrated after being hit by a missile launched from the ground the USAF approach uses small missiles fired from conventional fighter aircraftMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He can sell missiles and even nuclear material to other dubious states.
- Here at last was a set of fires as massive and extensive as any that might be generated by nuclear missiles.
- That could entail the deployment of ships carrying the interceptor missiles in the Sea of Japan.
early 17th century (as an adjective in the sense 'suitable for throwing (at a target')): from Latin missile, neuter (used as a noun) of missilis, from miss- 'sent', from the verb mittere.