- 1(Of a person or society) speaking only one language: monolingual familiesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Children who acquire more than one language early can develop thinking skills that may elude monolingual children of the same age.
- She grew up in Soviet Moscow, a supposedly monolingual society, but she remembers noticing and being fascinated by the range of accents and speech patterns she heard.
- Very few people are now monolingual Welsh speakers, though I have met one or two in rural areas in central and northern Wales.
- 1.1(Of a text or conversation) written or conducted in only one language: monolingual and bilingual editionsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Both monolingual dictionaries and bilingual dictionaries intended for speakers of languages other than English usually indicate the pronunciation of words.
- Earlier monolingual dictionaries were mainly concerned with ‘hard’ words: the bookish, Latinate, and technical vocabulary of Renaissance English.
- The market for spellcheckers and monolingual dictionaries would be greatly reduced.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- A person who speaks only one language.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In all multilingual communities speakers switch among languages or varieties as monolinguals switch among styles.
- On the one hand, the country was encouraging the study of foreign languages for English monolinguals, at great cost and with great inefficiency.
- Such a mindset sees everything in terms of monolingualism as the norm, even though there are more bilinguals and multilinguals in the world than monolinguals.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Saami women went from monolingualism in Saami to monolingualism in Norwegian in a very short period of time without much of a period of transitional bilingualism.
- They have learned the difference between bilingualism and monolingualism in a language other than English.
- Why is this country with its apparent linguistic diversity heading toward monolingualism?
Más definiciones de monolingualDefinición de monolingual en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.