- A vowel that has a single perceived auditory quality. Contrasted with diphthong, triphthong.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The monophthongs and diphthongs total 14 vowel sounds, perhaps the smallest vowel system of any long-established variety of English.
- Urban Texas is also abandoning the ‘y’ sound after ‘n’, ‘d' and ‘t’, exchanging diphthongs for monophthongs.
- A study of Tunisian women in Morocco showed that older women categorically use diphthongs/aw/and/aj /, while middle-aged women alternate between diphthongs and monophthongs.
early 17th century: from Greek monophthongos, from monos 'single' + phthongos 'sound'.
Más definiciones de monophthongDefinición de monophthong en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.