1A word consisting of only one syllable.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- ‘No,’ came the monosyllable again and then, as though he felt this needed some reasonable elaboration David added ‘I've been sick.’
- Sadly, he shook his head and replied in a monosyllable: ‘No’.
- I don't believe everything in life can be settled by a monosyllable - Betty Smith, American author.
1.1 (monosyllables) Brief words, used when reluctant to engage in conversation: if she spoke at all it was in monosyllables
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- When she tried to initiate conversations her friend replied in monosyllables and she soon gave up.
- He tried his best to strike up a conversation with her but she was unresponsive and spoke in monosyllables.
- She tries to strike up a conversation with him, and he responds in monosyllables, clearly not wanting to talk.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: mono|syl¦lable
Definición de monosyllable en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda