Definición de morphallaxis en inglés:
sustantivo[mass noun] Zoology
Regeneration by the transformation of existing body tissues.
- If the body of an intact Hydra is severed in two, it regenerates by morphallaxis, which does not require new growth.
- He coined the terms morphallaxis and epimorphosis to describe the two major types of regeneration.
- The result of morphallaxis is usually a smaller but complete individual, derived entirely from the tissues of part of the original animal.
late 19th century: from Greek morphē 'form' + allaxis 'exchange'.
- Example sentences
- Thus, the first key step in this morphallactic regeneration, when the head region is removed, is the specification of a new head region at the cut surface.
- Following this, morphallactic regeneration occurs within the body segments adjacent to the new head.
- In Hydra, regeneration is morphallactic since cell division is unnecessary and a complete Hydra can be regenerated from a piece of the body column.
Definición de morphallaxis en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan