sustantivo (plural mortuaries)
- A room or building in which dead bodies are kept, for hygienic storage or for examination, until burial or cremation.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He also introduced a rickshaw service, which takes unclaimed bodies from the government mortuary for a proper burial.
- For extra payment, undertakers began to offer wealthier people new facilities without the taint of the public mortuary to store their dead away from home.
- She lay dead in the mortuary of the hospital for two weeks before her family was notified.
adjetivoVolver al principio
- Relating to burial or tombs: mortuary rituals a mortuary templeMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Burial monuments and other mortuary rituals are often costly and elaborate.
- One interpretation is that the cave became a focus for mortuary rituals, including the defleshing of the dead.
- From here, the burial cortège, priests and visitors would pass through ceremonial halls onto a causeway that ascended the desert escarpment to the mortuary temple, built against the east face of the pyramid.
late Middle English (denoting a gift claimed by a parish priest from a deceased person's estate): from Latin mortuarius, from mortuus 'dead'. The current noun sense dates from the mid 19th century.