- 1A traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining a natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events: ancient Celtic myths [mass noun]: the heroes of Greek mythMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Classic Norse myth is rife with stories concerning Loki's attempts to subvert Odin's authority, and Odin's retaliatory actions.
- In later Greek myth Hecate is presented as the daughter of Hera and Zeus.
- I think the timocratic structure of divinity in early Greek myth might be quite a good thing to apply to the tale of Eris, the apple and the Trojan War.
- 2A widely held but false belief or idea: the belief that evening primrose oil helps to cure eczema is a myth, according to dermatologistsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- One of the most widely believed myths in America today is the belief that corporations are an inherent part of capitalism.
- Allow me to dispel a few popular myths about US taxes.
- He said the average customers were men who gambled at weekends, dispelling the popular myth that housewives were behind the rise in the popularity of poker.
- 2.1A fictitious or imaginary person or thing: nobody had ever heard of Simon’s mysterious friend—Anna said he was a mythMás ejemplos en oraciones
- His secret masters of the world may be a myth, but imagining they exist can make for an enjoyable reading experience.
- It should not surprise anyone if it turns out that Jean Houston's autobiography is a piece of fiction, a heroic myth spun by her imagination out of the fabric of her desires.
- 2.2An exaggerated or idealized conception of a person or thing: the book is a scholarly study of the Churchill mythMás ejemplos en oraciones
misconception, fallacy, mistaken belief, false notion, misbelief, old wives' tale, fairy story, fairy tale, fiction, fantasy, delusion, figment of the imagination; invention, fabrication, falsehood, untruth, lie
- Idealized, regressive myths of a better, more magical time and place are a poor platform for making art.
- There are myths and distorted concepts out there that may not be true.
- Racial conflicts are being encouraged with vastly exaggerated figures and myths.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin mythus, via late Latin from Greek muthos.