Definición de need en inglés:
- Your support is urgently needed to ensure the success of this worthy endeavor.
- Each attack requires a costly clean-up, using money which is desperately needed for other purposes.
- Everyone appreciates that the government urgently needs to address a wad of issues - the most obvious being poverty.
- They are the lowest form of political pond life and we do not need them.
- We do not need our emotions manipulated any more than they have been.
- God knows our players do not need their egos inflating any further.
- You need only go one stop on the tube to find a very different Britain.
- Olympiakos need only draw, but will carry to Anfield one of the poorest away records in the competition.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- A need for counting arose, then writing and numerals were needed to record transactions.
- There was a need for emergency type accommodation in Laois under the new strategy.
- Purvis rightly identifies a need for a more complete, more nuanced assessment.
- Bolton must adapt and change to meet the needs of the public if it wishes to thrive as it has in the past.
- I am from England, of course, and, as such, consider rain to be part of my daily needs.
- He explained that there were more than enough resources to satisfy all basic human needs.
- Flo is just the kind of player Peter Reid didn't require in his hour of need.
- Director Denise Carter urged the people of Bradford to make cash donations for Claire in her hour of need.
- Dependent on their families, they simply didn't know who to turn to in their hour of need.
1 In modern English, there are two quite distinct uses for the verb need. In the first place it is used as a normal verb meaning ‘require’: I need some money; I need to see her today. Second, it is one of a small class of verbs called modals (like can, could, and might, for example), which cannot stand alone without another verb and do not take normal verb endings or normal negative constructions, e.g. he need not worry, not he needs not worry; he can’t swim, not he doesn’t can swim. Because of this dual grammatical status, it is sometimes called a semi-modal.2 The two constructions in that shirt needs washing (verb + present participle) and that shirt needs to be washed (verb + infinitive and past participle) have more or less the same meaning. Both these constructions are acceptable in standard English, but a third construction, that shirt needs washed (verb + bare past participle), is restricted to certain dialects of Scotland and North America and is not considered acceptable in standard English.
- 1at need
- archaic When needed; in an emergency: men whose experience could be called upon at needMás ejemplos en oraciones
- It won't be quite as absorptive as the commercial variety, but it's a good deal cheaper and can be improvised at need.
- It becomes a tool, something you can use at need, not something that uses you.
- In truth, those fighting in the north were able to retreat westward at need, but their numbers and strength were sorely needed to help prevent, or at the least, hinder the Enemy from driving directly south through Alin.
- 3have need of/to do something
- formal Need something: Alida had need of companyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Its only real use is as a football ground and there are no league clubs who have need of it.
- Any radiation specialist medical personnel we have are at your disposal, if you have need of them.
- A few weeks ago, you may recall that I had need of the RAC's assistance, and received appalling service. Of course, I wrote to complain about this.
- 4if need be
- If necessary: I’ll work from morning till night if need beMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The room is quite large, it happens to be fitted for at least two girls to spend the night in if need be.
- The place is accessible from the Intracoastal, so they can move in and out during the night if need be.
- Stake out the village at night with infra-red cameras and the SAS if need be.
- 5in need of
- Needing (something): he was in desperate need of medical careMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The shop is also in need of good quality items to sell such as clothes, books and bric-a-brac.
- Of course the finance industry is not the only place in need of of some house cleaning.
- The central concepts of this work remain disputed and in need of close scholarly argument.
Palabras que riman con needaccede, bead, Bede, bleed, breed, cede, concede, creed, deed, Eid, exceed, feed, Gide, God speed, greed, he'd, heed, impede, interbreed, intercede, Jamshid, knead, lead, mead, Mede, meed, misdeed, mislead, misread, plead, proceed, read, rede, reed, Reid, retrocede, screed, secede, seed, she'd, speed, stampede, steed, succeed, supersede, Swede, tweed, weak-kneed, we'd, weed
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.