sustantivo (plural nellies)informal
1A silly person.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The inability of these nervous nellies to hold their peace for a couple of months and save their moaning for the appropriate ALP forum is seriously hampering the ALP's chances of victory on November 10.
- Is it any wonder that he gets impatient with the nervous nellies from the old nations who think they have a bit more experience with wars designed to bring peace to the world, and are reluctant to jump into yet another one.
- We're raising a generation of nervous nellies.
1930s: from the given name Nelly.
not on your nelly
- British Certainly not: Charlie shook his head vigorously. ‘Not on your nelly, mate.’[originally as not on your Nelly Duff, rhyming slang for 'puff' (i.e. breath of life); modelled on the phrase not on your life]Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Frankie Howerd was the man with the catchphrases ‘titter ye not’, ‘shut yer face’ and ‘not on your nelly’.
- Surely this would make her a heroine, a whistle-blower, someone who was being bullied and discriminated against, an all-round good girl with priceless victim credentials - but no, not on your nelly.
- Generating incremental sales commissions through a low-cost distribution channel like the website its passengers use - not on your nelly!
Definición de nelly en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.