Definición de nelly en inglés:
sustantivo (plural nellies)informal
- The inability of these nervous nellies to hold their peace for a couple of months and save their moaning for the appropriate ALP forum is seriously hampering the ALP's chances of victory on November 10.
- Is it any wonder that he gets impatient with the nervous nellies from the old nations who think they have a bit more experience with wars designed to bring peace to the world, and are reluctant to jump into yet another one.
- We're raising a generation of nervous nellies.
1930s: from the given name Nelly.
The expression not on your nelly was originally used in the form not on your Nelly Duff. In the 19th century Nelly Duff was rhyming slang for ‘puff’ (meaning ‘breath of life’), and so the phrase is roughly equivalent to not on your life. Nobody now knows who Nelly was, if indeed she was ever a real person.
not on your nelly
- British Certainly not: Charlie shook his head vigorously. ‘Not on your nelly, mate.’[Originally as not on your Nelly Duff, rhyming slang for 'puff' (i.e. breath of life); modelled on the phrase not on your life]Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Frankie Howerd was the man with the catchphrases ‘titter ye not’, ‘shut yer face’ and ‘not on your nelly’.
- Surely this would make her a heroine, a whistle-blower, someone who was being bullied and discriminated against, an all-round good girl with priceless victim credentials - but no, not on your nelly.
- Generating incremental sales commissions through a low-cost distribution channel like the website its passengers use - not on your nelly!
Palabras que riman con nellybelly, Botticelli, casus belli, Corelli, Delhi, deli, Ellie, Grappelli, jelly, Kelly, lamellae, Machiavelli, Mahaweli, Schiaparelli, Shelley, shelly, smelly, tagliatelle, telly, Torricelli, vermicelli, welly, Zeffirelli
Definición de nelly en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.