- 1The underworld; hell: their souls were forever doomed to wander aimlessly in the netherworldMás ejemplos en oraciones
hell, the underworld, the infernal regions, the nether regions, the abyss, the land of the dead; the abode of the damned, eternal damnation, perdition; Biblical Gehenna, Tophet, Abaddon; Judaism Sheol; Greek Mythology Hades, Tartarus, Acheron; British the other place• literary the pit• archaic the lower world
- The local Indians, the Chumash, had a legend of something that translates roughly to ‘mouth of hell’ - a place where demons emerge from the netherworld and walk the earth.
- Rachel has moved her son Aiden to a small coastal town in pursuit of the quiet life and television sets that aren't passageways to the netherworld.
- Trapped in a car, I watched in absolute helplessness, (the sort I hope which only exists in nightmares) as this beast of the netherworld repeatedly launched itself at the windshield with great force.
- 1.1A hidden or illicit area of activity: the narcotic netherworld thriving in post-war AmericaMás ejemplos en oraciones
- A few others, finally, have been drawn into the netherworld of off-stage intrigue and parapolitical violence.
- We suspected there was a netherworld of corrupt activity.
- In most instances I think we'd find that a combination of factors led these children to descend into the netherworld of crime.
- 1.2An ill-defined area of activity: that cinematic netherworld between the multiplexes and the video storesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In some respects, Canada lives in a bizarre netherworld between the U.S. and Britain (and now, Hong Kong, China, India, etc.).
- Forget the synthetic decadence of the Bravery - the real star of New York's sexually ambiguous netherworld is this male modern answer to Nina Simone.
- What enraged and confused the censors was the film's approach to that strange netherworld between dreaming and waking states, in which so much unusual activity transpires.