Definición de nettle en inglés:
1A herbaceous plant which has jagged leaves covered with stinging hairs.
- Genus Urtica, family Urticaceae: several species, in particular the Eurasian stinging nettle (U. dioica)
Oraciones de ejemplo
- These so-called host plants include many broadleaf weeds and cover crops such as nettles, mallow, chicory, dandelion, thistles, bindweed, deadly nightshade, and many clovers.
- But the beauty of most edible plants - nettles, dandelions, alexanders, fat hen, sorrel - is that they are so prolific they are considered a nuisance.
- Almost everyone is familiar with the nettle through its formidable sting, but few know about the important role it plays in the natural world.
1.1Used in names of other plants with leaves of a similar appearance to those of the nettle, e.g. dead-nettle.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Flea beetles also feed on many nongarden plants, including Virginia creeper, pokeweed, horse nettle, pigweed and wild mustard family plants.
- Dead nettles are ground cover perennials with leaves that are marked in silver.
verbo[with object] Volver al principio
1Irritate or annoy (someone): ‘I was only asking,’ Jess said, nettled
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- So it nettles me a little bit for people to question her qualifications.
- One remark of Don's, however, nettled me for its pre-emptive protecting of the poet.
- I am nettled by this, and, refusing his attentions walk off into the surf squaring my shoulders.
upset, displease, offend, affront, get/put someone's back up, disgruntle, rankle with, pique, needle, ruffle, get on someone's nerves, try someone's patience, ruffle someone's feathers, make someone's hackles rise, raise someone's hackles, chafe;
British rub up the wrong way;
North American rankle, ride, gravel
informal peeve, aggravate, miff, rile, get, get to, bug, get under someone's skin, get in someone's hair, get up someone's nose, hack off, get someone's goat, drive up the wall
British informal nark, get on someone's wick, give someone the hump, wind up, get across someone
North American informal tick off
vulgar slang piss off
British vulgar slang get on someone's tits
rare exacerbate, hump, rasp
North American informal teed off, ticked off, sore
West Indian informal vex
vulgar slang pissed off
- grasp the nettle
- see grasp.
Palabras que riman con nettlefettle, kettle, metal, mettle, petal, Popocatépetl, settle
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda