- He had hoped to receive parking permits for residents but none were forthcoming.
- There were none, except perhaps the slight lift of an eyebrow as he noticed Cory's gaze.
- It's beginning to build an activist community in a city where previously there was none.
- If Donie was the man of the match then there were heroes as well and none more so than goalie Colm Munnelly.
- To my sorrow and sadness nobody recognized me and there was none to honour me as your lover at your gate.
- Not only did none of them show up, but none sent me as much as a postcard of good wishes.
adverbio(none the) [with comparative] Volver al principio
It is sometimes held that none can only take a singular verb, never a plural verb: none of them is coming tonight rather than none of them are coming tonight. There is little justification, historical or grammatical, for this view. None is descended from Old English nān meaning ‘not one’ and has been used for around a thousand years with both a singular and a plural verb, depending on the context and the emphasis needed.
none the less
- see nonetheless.
none other than
- Used to emphasize the surprising identity of a person or thing: her first customer was none other than Henry du PontMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The first victims of his surprise visit were none other than presspersons themselves.
- And it was none other than Rossellini who advised him to turn professional.
- This church is supposed to have been founded by none other than Charlemagne.
be none the wiser
- see wise1.
none the worse for
- see worse.
- see too.
will have (or want) none of something
- Refuse to accept a particular thing, especially a person’s behaviour: I will have none of itMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Patterson is itching to make his comeback, but the media will have none of it, for now.
- All the members of the family plead with her to give the marriage a last chance but she will have none of it.
- I try to entice him with the biggest hedge maze in the world and a seal sanctuary but he will have none of it.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.