- 1 [usually with modifier] A device for opening something, especially a container: a tin opener a letter openerMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The Northern Star Literary Award, a hand-crafted pen, pencil and letter opener in a box of North Coast red cedar, will also be awarded for best entry overall.
- Airports have brought in increasingly stringent security checks, and are confiscating everything from nail files and bottle openers to knitting needles and knives.
- My family has a picnic kit which includes knife, bottle opener, ‘cool bag’ and plastic plates and cups to make meals on beaches that bit nicer!
- 2 • informal The first in a series of events, games, or actions: Denver stuffed Buffalo 22-7 in the season openerMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Johnson has proven that his victory at the season opener was no fluke.
- After a busy summer, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens are getting ready for their season opener, which, incidentally, is also a world premiere.
- Making the All-Star team, standing on the mound for the fifth game of the playoffs, starting the season opener this year - it's all unbelievable.
- 2.1The first goal in a match: Bannister equalized after Armstrong’s opener for PalaceMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The Eagles returned from the home of the league leaders with a well-earned point after a Julian Gray goal cancelled out an opener by Pompey's former England international Paul Merson.
- The Pikes' version notched two goals, his opener a mazy run of which his brother would have been proud to claim as his own.
- However, play was a ding-dong battle with neither team able to make tactical offensive ploys in their quest for the goal opener.
- 2.2A remark used as an excuse to initiate a conversation: we blurted out the obvious openerMás ejemplos en oraciones
- My store of conversational openers seems thoroughly inadequate to the task.
- Sitting down beside him, Brenna wracked her brain for a conversation opener.
- My response to his question was sort of a conversation opener and an ender.
- 2.3 Cricket A batsman who opens the batting.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Which isn't to say he is any less potent; his ability to dismiss top-class batsmen and high-class openers is unquestionable.
- No matter what their decisions, Lancashire must recruit at least one top-class batsman, preferably an opener, and possibly two.
- Following the fall of the openers, the batsmen dropped at an alarming rate.
- • informal To start with; first of all: for openers we chose lobsterMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I think for openers, the president and the vice president ought to put the records out in terms of what they have done and not done as it relates to corporate wrongdoing.
- A silly subterfuge, I know, but it's the best I can do for openers.
- Here, for openers, are the transcripts of what Naughton's had to say on his program.
Más definiciones de openerDefinición de opener en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.